Thanks to one trusting farmer’s strong belief in people and desire to help others, we’ve worked to keep people Worry Free since we were founded in 1884. In the beginning, it was The Iowa Mutual Tornado, Cyclone and Windstorm Insurance Association. In 1903, the decision was made to refine our name to Iowa Mutual Tornado Insurance Association and again in 1970 to IMT Insurance Company.
Today, we proudly call ourselves IMT Insurance. Our distinctive red diamond logo is a steadfast symbol of integrity, compassion and resolve. We’re committed to providing protection for autos, homes and businesses, and support for our partners.
- 1884: Founded the Iowa Mutual Tornado, Cyclone and Windstorm Insurance Association in West Union, IA
- 1884: Issued first policy to Dr. Lorenzo Dutton
- 1885: Reached $1 million mark of tornado insurance in force
- 1903: Changed company name to Iowa Mutual Tornado Insurance Association
- 1911: Reached $150 million mark of tornado insurance in force
- 1927: Iowa Mutual Tornado-the largest co-operative association in the world!
- 1930: J.B. Herriman, IMT founding father, died at age 81
- 1955: Began fire reinsurance for associated county mutuals in Iowa
- 1958: Began writing casualty insurance with CPL and FCPL Policies with the rapidly expanding multiple lines era underway
- 1959: Introduced the diamond logo as part of IMT’s 75th Anniversary
- 1960: Introduced Homeowners, Family Auto, Workers’ Compensation and Commercial Truck policies
- 1964: Created our “Be Worry Free with IMT” tagline
- 1970: Changed company name to IMT Insurance Company (Mutual)
- 1979: Received Iowa Consumerism Award from PIA
- 1980: Received National Consumerism Award from PIA
- 1982: Added Businessowner Policy
- 1984: Began century #2 as a company!
- 1984: Started “The IMT File” – package of personal policies
- 1990: Began electronic communications with our agency force
- 1991: Reached $21 million in surplus
- 1994: Named “Company of the Year” by PIA
- 1999: Established Surety and Fidelity department
- 2000: Exited the assumed reinsurance business
- 2007: Formed Mutual holding company and introduced a new company – Wadena Insurance
- 2007: Reached $114 million in policyholders’ surplus
- 2007: Increased A.M. Best rating to “A” excellent
- 2009: Celebrated IMT’s 125th Anniversary
- 2011: Expanded writing territory in Minnesota for Personal Lines
- 2014: Released Worry Free mobile app on iOS and Android
- 2015: Reached $200 million in Direct Written Premium
- 2015: Released the IMT Link mobile app on iOS and Android
- We’re committed to providing protection for autos, homes and businesses, and support for our partners.