The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) wants you and your family to be safe when using snow throwers. In a recent year, there were approximately 590 finger amputations involving snow throwers. CPSC estimates that each year on average there are approximately 5,740 hospital emergency room-related injuries associated with snow throwers. CPSC has received reports of 19 deaths since 1992 involving snow throwers. Two people died after becoming caught in the machine. Five deaths were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning resulting from leaving the engine running in an enclosed area.
Injuries most frequently occurred when consumers tried to clear the auger/collector or discharge chute with their hands.
Source: Copyright 2011, Consumer Product Safety Commission