Fireworks are an American tradition, especially when celebrating our nation’s birthday on the Fourth of July. Yet, the thrill of fireworks can be dangerous, causing property damage from fires, serious burns, eye injuries, disfigurement and even death.
Did you know that sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit? This is hot enough to melt some metals. Yet, children are often encouraged to handle this type of firework. Unfortunately, many parents don’t realize that young children can suffer injuries from sparklers.
“Fireworks can be extremely dangerous, even if they are legal,” according Michael Spencer, a pilot from Bowling Green, Kentucky, who lost several fingers on both hands when he was injured by a shell-and-mortar style fireworks device in 2015. “My advice would be to leave them to the professionals.”
Make sure to have the right amount and type of insurance for your home and auto to safeguard your finances. Talk to your local IMT Agent today!
Copyright 2020 Consumer Product Safety Commission