Fire Prevention week 2017 is October 8th through October 14th!
The theme this year is "Every Second Counts: Plan Two Ways Out!" This theme reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan, if the unfortunate happens!
Below are some tips from the National Fire Prevention Agency on how best to come up with an escape plan for your family, and how to reinforce those practices in your home:
- Draw a map of your home by using our grid in English (PDF) or Spanish (PDF) with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
Fire Prevention Week is a great time to bring up Fire Planing and Safety with your family. Planning for the unfortunate is never fun, but in the end, it helps keep us all safer!
Copyright 2018 National Fire Prevention Agency