The Super Bowl is one of the most watched sporting events of the year. Millions of football fans around the globe will huddle together and root for their favorite team. Some will tune in just to watch the commercials. Super Bowl parties are special events and many look forward to spending time with fellow fans, family and friends. Yet, it has also become one of the Nation's most dangerous days on the roadways due to impaired driving. Impaired driving crashes and fatalities are preventable. Designating a sober driver should be on the top of everyone's Super Bowl playbook, but there are also other ways you can help save lives of friends and loved ones as well.
If you are planning on attending a Super Bowl Party here are some helpful plays:
- Don't get flagged for drinking and driving. Have a designated driver, get a ride from a sober teammate, or stay where you are until you're sober even if you have to sleep there.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast by pacing yourself and eating enough food. Be sure to take breaks and alternate with water or non-alcoholic drinks.
- If you don't have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, friend, or family member who is able to come and get you.
- Guard against distractions and speeding by managing the clock. Allow sufficient time to arrive at your destination safely.
- Never let a friend leave your sight if you think they are about to drive while impaired.
- Always buckle up its still your best defense against other impaired drivers.
If you are hosting a Super Bowl Party:
- Remember, you can be held liable and prosecuted if someone you served ends up in an impaired-driving crash.
- If hosting a Super Bowl party; intercept guests' car keys at the door, provide food and nonalcoholic beverages, stop serving alcohol in the 3rd Quarter, and be ready to provide ample crash space.
- Be sure all of your guests designate their drivers in advance, or help arrange ride-sharing with sober drivers.
- Serve lots of food and be sure to include plenty of water and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Get the numbers for local Uber or cab companies, and take the keys away from anyone who is considering driving while impaired.
- Fans Don't Let Fans Drive Drunk!
The purpose of this Super Bowl 50 safety huddle is intended to help families, friends, and organizations decrease the number of impaired driving incidents by being proactive about designated sober drivers and enjoying the big Sunday party in moderation. Remember, the day following the Super Bowl is a work day for many. So be alert and ready to pass along your best Monday morning assessments. Have a safe and enjoyable Super Bowl! Copyright 2017 Iowa-Illinois Safety Council