Our organization was formed on December 5, 1883 under the mutual assessment association laws of Iowa to provide wind and tornado insurance to farmers. We commenced writing business on January 2, 1884. The original title, Iowa Mutual Tornado, Cyclone and Windstorm Insurance Association, was changed in 1903 to Iowa Mutual Tornado Insurance Association and again in 1970 to its present name, IMT Insurance Company. IMT has become a financially strong midwestern property and casualty organization with over 130 years of proven performance. Today, we provide many different forms of protection for home, auto and business.
- Official founding of The Iowa Mutual Tornado, Cyclone and Windstorm Insurance Association in West Union, IA.
- First policy issued to Dr. Lorenzo Dutton.
- Reached $1 million mark of tornado insurance in force.
- Reached $150 million mark of tornado insurance in force.
- Iowa Mutual Tornado-the largest co-operative association in the world!
- J.B. Herriman, IMT founding father, died at age 81.
- Began fire reinsurance for associated county mutuals in Iowa.
- IMT began writing casualty insurance with CPL and FCPL Policies. The rapidly expanding multiple lines era was underway.
- Diamond logo introduced as part of IMT's 75th Anniversary.
- Homeowners Policy, Family Auto Policy, Workers' Compensation and IMT's Commercial Truck Policy were introduced.
- "Be Worry Free with IMT," started.
- Company changed name to IMT Insurance Company (Mutual).
- Received Iowa Consumerism Award from PIA.
- IMT received National Consumerism Award from PIA.
- Businessowner Policy added.
- "Beginning Century 2!"
- "The IMT File"- the package of personal policies started.
- Electronic communications with our agency force begins.
- $21 million in surplus.
- PIA names IMT "Company of the Year."
- Surety and Fidelity department established.
- IMT exited the assumed reinsurance business.
- IMT forms Mutual holding company and introduces a new company-Wadena Insurance.
- $114 million in policyholders' surplus.
- A.M. Best rating raised to "A" excellent.
- IMT Celebrates 125th Anniversary.
- Expanded writing territory in Minnesota for Personal Lines.
- The Worry Free App was released on iOS and Android
- Reached $200 million in Direct Written Premium
- Released the IMT Link Mobile Application on iOS and Android
- Take care of our customers.
Harry L. Gross
Jim A. Vickery
W. Dean Honnold
Richard C. Keith
Sean M.P. Kennedy